Friday, June 5, 2009

Senior Post 4

My favorite teacher is someone who left our school last year. This person also never taught me a specific subject but was a coach of sorts. He was not just my teacher, but my role model, my best friend, my ally, my coach and mainly, a second father to me. He knew how to calm me down by just saying, “Sleep” but also know how to rile me, and everyone else, up to perform the very best we can. He taught me valuable life lesson that I will never forget. You may e wondering who “he” is. He is Chuck Hawkins, one of the greatest men I have ever met in my life.
Chuck Hawkins was our marching band director the first three years of my High School career. He is my favorite teacher because he was so much more than just a teacher. He taught me how to be proud of myself even if we didn’t do as well as I had hoped. He taught me what a leader needs to do and how to lead. He taught me to make good life decisions and that if you don’t achieve something one year you might very well get it the next year. Chuck was the first adult that I had ever called by their first name. I believe that helped me become even closer to him. Last year was his final year working with our marching band and I have missed him this entire year. I still remember the last competition when I hugged him and couldn’t believe that it was the last one I would ever see him at. Chuck had seen me at my worst and my best. He gave me my nick name “pumpkin feet” my freshman year and started my tradition of wearing new, and crazier colored, Chuck Taylors every marching season. I can’t believe I made it through this year without him. He changed my life and I know I would not be the same without him. And finally, at the end of the day I ask myself “Am I better today than I was yesterday?” and if I am, it means that I am a success and I owe that success to Chuck.

No comments: